Friday, April 29, 2011

Odd Meter...

So, today I was thinking about that last tune. I was running and it was early in the morning. (Not that I do that often, mind you.) I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. So. when 5am came around, I decided to put on my running gear and head out. Running is maybe a generous term, but at least I was moving somewhat faster than I usually walk. As I was running, I started thinking about rhythms and odd meters, and I came up with one that seemed interesting in my head.

||: 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 :|| 4x - Intro

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | - Transition to head...

Head in 6/8.

The key to this thing is that the head melody would be 8 bars long, at least and through-composed (not repeat after 4 bars.)

One thing that I get really tired of in my own song writing is that my phrases seem to only be 4 bars long, and then repeat. Also, I seem really stuck on A A B A forms. Not that there is anything wrong with A A B A. In fact, I have read some stuff that ties this approach back to classical forms. And I think that if it is a classical form, it was that way for a reason... It work. (Or at least it worked then.) I guess I just feel that it should be possible to reach outside this form, and go for something a little more fresh, and still maintain an ease of listening (want to be careful throwing that around).

Anyway, I'll have to see where this ends up, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment