Sunday, May 1, 2011

Oberheim TSV-1...


Back in high school, we had one of these... It is an Oberheim TSV1. It was very cool, and I was very fortunate to be able to mess around with it. At the time I was starting to get into Metheny, as well as continuing to listen to bands like Rush, Yes and others. Around the same time, I became acquainted with Metheny's Are You Going With Me?". This tune feature a synth that Metheny was playing... with his guitar. I have always been interested in making my guitar sound like... well... anything other than a bass. I tried plugging in my bass directly into the Oberheim TSV1. No luck. I had no idea what I was doing. I did manage to create some pretty cool sounds, however. I even eventually figured out how to make it do that thing as the beginning of Tom Sawyer by Rush. For the more hip... Tom Sawyer (but no Oberheim TSV1.)

Years later I got interested in the Arduino platform. The Arduino is a open source microcontroller, a small computer that interfaces easily with electronic hardware. While browsing the internet yesterday, I came across this interesting post for an Arduino based guitar tuner/midi synth device.

Now my goal is to build a Arduino based bass tuner/synth that I can use in my odd meter tune... Just 'cause it would be fun.

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment