Thursday, May 19, 2011

Practice, practice, practice...

One thing about music that I both love and hate is practicing.  I hate it because it reminds me all too often of the things that I cannot do yet.  At the same time, I love the reward of learning something new, and then actually having that work out on a gig.  Last week I spent some time working on a funk tune called Hit the Ground Running by Gordon Goodwin.  It is a monster funk chart, and has some very specific rhythm section stuff.  We pretty much nailed it (or at least came fairly close) at our gig on Tuesday.  It was rewarding for me in that I pretty much carried the last riff for the rhythm section (who were all subs but me).

My kids are now starting piano.  We try to *encourage* them to practice every day.  When I hear them practicing, I remember how, when I was a kid, I was forced to practice for 30 min every day.  How my parents put up with sqwacking Clarinet, I'll never know.  I remember that I never got to watch Three's Company because that was when I was supposed to practice.  In hind sight, maybe I am the better for that.  At any rate, I did get better at clarinet, which lead to saxophone, which (after the briefest of detours thru Bassoon) finally lead to Bass. 

That's all for today.  And yes...  I did practice for 30 minutes today.  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment