Sunday, May 22, 2011

Recorded before a live audience.

That line always confused me.  How did they record TV shows prior to live audiences?  I mean, did some guy exploring a cave discover a ancient trove of old sitcoms?  Was there some impact crater some place which, at it's center, had some type of alien container of old shows?

Once I realized that before meant "infront of" and not "prior to", the mystery cleared up a little.  But still, who cared?  Then I realized that they were trying to make it clear that the laughing wasn't all just pre-recorded.  (Even though, I am sure, in some cases it was).  Times have changed.

We went to see a great production of Annie today at the Children's Theater Company in Minneapolis today.  The cast did really, and my only complaint about the performers was that it would be nice if they could have trained Sandy to face the audience a little more rather than showing us his back side.

Aside from that, the one thing that really was a drag was that the music was pre-recorded.  I find that to be, well, insulting.  I am sure that it is easier, and certainly cheaper, to record the music track and play it back along with the performance.  Particularly a show like Annie, which does call for a pretty full pit orchestra to pull it off.  That said, I really don't think that it is true to the musical *art form* (if you will excuse me calling it that) to not have the real thing.  Also, for a company like the CTC not to use a live orchestra is an extra bummer because kid's miss the chance to see that aspect of the show.

I hope that the CTC will continue to use live musicians for it's musical productions.  I really do think it makes a difference.

Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment