Monday, May 30, 2011

Writing out charts...

Today I spent time copying over the chart to The Red One.  The Metheny Song Book has a written bass part for this song, and I think it is pretty crucial to the feel of the tune.  The format of the chart in the book has two guitar parts and a bass part.  This makes for lots of pages, for what is really a fairly simple tune.  I think it is good to go back and write the part out, however I have noticed that my writing has suffered over the years.  I am spoiled from using software to write out the charts.  I think it is good to write out the charts particularly because it makes me think about how the rhythms should be played.  I have never been very good at reading rhythms.  When I copy the charts out, I try to follow the good practice of spacing the rhythms appropriately.  For example, a quarter note should take the same amount of space as 2 eight notes.

Roughly something like this:

|♩ ♩ ♩ ♩ |
|♫   ♫  ♫  ♫ |

In other words, a bar of eight notes takes up the same physical space as a bar of quarter notes.

I have already copied over Soul Cowboy and transcribed the melody to bass clef.  That makes it much easier to play the head.  I do read treble clef...  It is just a bit of a mind-game to keep the clefs straight in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment